Tuesday, June 7, 2011

Dresser Turned Kitchen Island

Last night I dragged my sister with me to buy a dresser I found on Craigslist. I've been searching the site for a couple weeks, looking for a piece with just the right lines to turn into a kitchen island - success is sweet!

Here are the photos that inspired me:



Ohhhhh. Amazing, right? (I first saw this on Nesting Place)



A bit less fanciful, but still wonderful. (From Faded Plains - her whole kitchen re-do is inspiring!)


And here is my beauty. She needs some work... the previous owner put on a very thick layer of high-gloss navy blue paint. And there are drips and scuffs and a drawer that sticks. But she's full of potential! I think I'm going to live with her for a while as I decide on a color. I'm dreaming of a butcher block top, with a little overhang on the back to tuck a couple of stools under.



One thing I might do right away is paint the rustic back (which I LOVE!) with chalkboard paint for Finley. We'll see...



Real life moment: This is probably what the "island" will primarily be for the next few months - a place to put baby's bouncy seat!



UPDATE: For photos of the finished product, read the post titled "Finally Finished!"

4 comments:

  1. Nice find! I love the chalkboard paint idea for the back. I also like the different knobs on the drawers.

    ReplyDelete
  2. what a great idea! have you finished the island yet?

    ReplyDelete
  3. Thanks. It's very close! I hope to post pictures soon...

    ReplyDelete