Monday, June 6, 2011

Baby Album - only 3 years late!

I was really excited to receive this in the mail today:



It seems natural for me to have an album of baby pictures around the house since I have a 3 month old baby, right? Well... yes. But this is a picture album of my almost 3-year-old when he was a baby! Can we say, "a little behind?" Yes. Quite. Party I simply haven't had time. But partly, I couldn't reconcile how to combine all these amazing photos I have of my firstborn with this:



a bag of all those important first-months mementos. You know, like his first hat from the hospital...



and birth announcement...



and footprints, etc. All important things, but they were keeping me from doing anything! The pressure of doing it "right" crippled me. I couldn't bring myself to start compiling photos or mementos, because I wanted it to be a perfect scrapbook/photobook for him to pour over with his children someday. Silly, I know. But a typical problem for me. The perfectionist in me turns into a procrastinator. Ugh. Then I just feel depressed because I've accomplished nothing.

The pending birth of Baby #2 helped to kick me into gear, along with an email from Shutterfly , with a 50% off coupon. I admitted that doing something with all the baby photos was more important than doing the perfect thing. So I decided to do a 12x12 photo book with pictures from his first few months, with plans to fill up a scrapbook with all the other mementos sometime in the future. I got the book 95% assembled before Baby #2 made an appearance, and I finally printed the book this week!







It's not perfect, and I've already though of a few photos that I forgot to include... but hey, if Baby #1 ever does look at this book a few years down the road, he won't know! And in the meantime, I will enjoy it immensely. What sweet memories of those first few sleep-deprived, colicky, overwhelming months of being a mom!



How do you compile your memories and photos of your children? I could use some inspiration for future endeavors!

No comments:

Post a Comment