Monday, May 9, 2011

Simple Accessory Wall

I wish I had a "before" picture to show of our master closet. When we bought our house, it wasn't a closet at all... just the old stairs/cellar access to the basement. As part of a large remodel, we planned to build a floor with a trap door over the stairs (which are only necessary for moving things in & out that don't fit down the new spiral staircase), and then create a walk-in closet over the cellar stairs. Brilliant, right? Well, yes, but... we've lived here a year and a half, and the closet was only recently completed because of myriad complex issues. We've limped along with an un-insulated, rickety closet this whole time, featuring a door to the back porch, across which we hung a drooping closet rod. I'm amazed it didn't come crashing down in the middle of the night. During the winter months, our closet was so cold that we avoided opening the door. Big piles of clothes lived on our bedroom floor instead! A friend recently helped us finish our closet, and he did a fabulous job with a really crazy space! I'm not ready to show pictures of the whole space yet... it's still pretty unorganized. The fact that I am still between maternity clothes and regular clothes doesn't help - I have everything crammed in together. However, we are getting there slowly. A couple weeks ago, I dragged my husband to Home Depot in order to buy a peg board and an accessory kit. I had plans to turn an un-used cranny into an accessory wall to house my husband's fedora collection, along with my scarves, hats, purses and belts. He mounted it for me, and within a few moments, I had claimed every last inch of the wall! I suppose I need to use one of the pegboard scraps to make a space for his fedoras...


My inspiration for this project was this craft-room pegboard on This Blessed Nest.



It was super- easy and affordable. I drool over the ELFA custom closet supplies at The Container Store, but this was more in lines with our budget:

Pegboard cut to size - $15
Pegboard accessory kit - $8 (with lots of left-over pieces for future projects!)
3-Basket pegboard kit - $10
scraps to mount behind the pegboard so that it sits a little off the wall - free

TOTAL: $33

Not bad for a custom accessory wall! And the best part? I can rearrange it anytime I buy a new purse.

No comments:

Post a Comment