Saturday, August 4, 2012

Book Nook




I finally decided to tackle a spruce-up of our basement.  That project is still underway, but it reminded me that I had never shared another corner of the basement with you - Finley's special little space I hope will help him love to read: the Book Nook - which I finished a few months back.


Our basement has one of those giant built-ins made to house an ancient TV.  You remember the ones that were nearly as deep as they were wide?  They took up way more space than a TV ought to.  Wives everywhere are thankful for the inventor of flat screens.  Amen?  Anyway, when our basement made it's final transition from my husband's "Man Cave" to a play room / studio space, the cubby became storage...  Rather inefficient storage.  I was bemoaning the fact that we couldn't rip it out and reclaim that floor space when I realized that it was actually a pretty cool spot for a kid to play in.... and the idea of the Book Nook was born!

This was such an easy project.  It already had shelves on the sides.  So I added paint (a chevron pattern in left-over paint from our bathroom), pillows and a small quilt from Finley's old nursery, a clip-on lamp, a curtain and a bunch of books and snuggly animals.  I still have room for toy storage underneath, and a little out-of-commission nursing stool serves as a step for Finley to hop up.  Voila!

(The adorable giraffe print was a gift from sweet Annie of Brumley & Wells.  I fell in love with it when I saw it online. So whimsical and silly.)

This is a favorite corner in our house!

No comments:

Post a Comment